Saturday, October 12, 2013

Culture

Every culture is different and there are many kinds of different cultures. First, we must define culture. Google's definition of culture is, "the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively." This is a good definition for this post but everyone has a different view of what culture can be defined as. 



Culture plays a huge role in how a family works together. Culture influences how children grow up. For example, in some African cultures everyone raises the children together. They work together to help the child develop. Every culture is different and we should take the time to understand them. Just as long as we love our children unconditionally.  Each family has their own culture. Cultures are passed down from generation to generation. For example, family dinners may be a common thing in your family and then it will continue on with your children. Another example is in politics. Children usually follow the views of their parents. Culture is full of traditions and specific views.


3 comments:

  1. Hey its your TA again:) There is great power is noticing familial trends and the impact they can have on our current and future families. Why do you believe there is such a correlation between class, culture, and family experience? You mentioned traditions, what are some of your favorite traditions that you will bring to your future family of creation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People usually end up parenting how they were parented. Have you ever thought, "Wow, I sounded like my mother just then." This is because we end up parenting on autopilot. So, if the children grow up a certain way or in a certain culture they are surely to carry a lot of it into their future family.
      I love all of my families Christmas traditions that we carry. We open the pajamas on Christmas Eve and all of the kids sleep in the same room that night. I am going to make sure we have family home evening every Monday night and family dinner every night. These are only a few things I would like to carry on with my future family.

      Delete
  2. I never realized that we usually "parent on autopilot." Because of my upbringing, I try to think through everything I do before I do it. I wonder about the impact it will have on my family. I never want my children to be in a situation similar to the one I was in. There were some good times before my dad died, so I pull from those moments and I think of all the women around me that I admire as mothers and take their examples into account.
    I'm glad you like our Christmas traditions and I know you will be a fantastic mother one day!

    ReplyDelete